Select Page

Incident: NSW iVote fails during local council elections | ZDNet

Incident: NSW iVote fails during local council elections | ZDNet

Australian Voting Outage,
06 December 2021

New South Wales’ iVote online voting system failed on Saturday during the state’s local government elections

Update: NSWEC finds iVote system failure may have impacted three local election outcomes

Government Statement: iVote and 2021 NSW Local Government elections
Source: NSW iVote fails during local council elections | ZDNet
Update Source: NSWEC finds iVote system failure may have impacted three local election outcomes | ZDNet
Related:NSW Electoral Commission apologises after iVote system inaccessible on election day. Full post-incident report may not be revealed until May 2022 | iTnews

View other incidents relating to State Governments and South Australia.

New South Wales’ iVote online voting system failed on Saturday during the state’s local government elections, with an unknown number of voters unable to exercise their democratic rights.

YouTube player

At the 2019 NSW State elections 234,401 votes were cast using iVote. At close of applications at 1pm today 652,983 votes had been cast using the system since it opened on 22 November.

Voting is compulsory in Australia. However NSWEC said any eligible voter who “applied to use iVote” but was unable to cast their ballot would be excused from paying the AU$55 penalty.

“The Electoral Commissioner may also determine, after the elections have finished, that other categories of electors should be excused for having a sufficient reason,” NSWEC said.

[Update] New South Wales’ electoral commissioner has revealed the iVote system failure during the state’s local elections last month may have materially impacted the councillor elections in Kempsey, Singleton, and the City of Shellharbour.

 

About The Author

Steven Kirby

I provide independent and practical consultancy services through raising awareness and fostering the energy for change that delivers improved business management of information security governance, risk and compliance.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Please follow the Source link to the original article to support the content owner. We only provide a brief summary with metadata to assist in categorisation.

More Australian News

Exclusive: INC Ransom claims cyber attack on Australian engineering service company

Threat actors have claimed a cyber attack on an Australian engineering solutions company and are threatening to publish data they allegedly … [...]

Exclusive: Major cleaning and facility services firm confirms third-party cyber incident

Major private cleaning and facility services firm Menzies Group has confirmed a cyber incident that occurred after a third-party IT provider was … [...]

Exclusive: Australian College of Business Intelligence investigating Qilin ransomware claims

A Sydney-based vocational college has found no evidence of compromised student data after being listed on the leak site of a prolific hacking group. • … [...]

Victorian bulk porting scammer gets over two years in prison

A 35-year-old man from Lynbrook, south-east Melbourne, has received a prison sentence of two years and two months, with a 12-month non-parole period, … [...]

NSW cyber cops bust alleged bullion-buying BEC bandits

NSW Police have charged three people over an alleged $600,000 business email compromise (BEC) scam operation, after detectives caught a young woman … [...]

Miners’ data targeted as hackers hold software provider to ransom

Dozens of Australian mining companies are scrambling to access their key technology systems after a major software supplier to the sector was … [...]

Instructure dealing with Canvas cyberhackers a dangerous tactic, say experts

The company that runs Canvas has painted a target on its back for future extortion attempts by making a deal with hackers, according to cybersecurity … [...]

Exclusive: Hospitality IT provider allegedly breached by Qilin

Threat actors have claimed a cyber attack on an Australian hospitality and gaming industry supplier, having listed the firm on the dark web. • Fri, 15 … [...]

ACCC welcomes another year of funding for the National Anti-Scam Centre

The Australian consumer watchdog is pleased with the overall funding boost of $67.7 million over four years in the 2026–27 budget. • Thu, 14 May 2026 … [...]

Report: Business email compromise attacks surged dangerously in April

BEC attacks rose 151 per cent month on month in April, with advanced fee and gift card fraud key drivers. • Thu, 14 May 2026 • Security *]:clear-none … [...]

Scope Systems confirms cyber incident, says no data loss occurred

Western Australia-based software deployment specialist and reseller Scope Systems has disclosed a cyber incident but said no data loss occurred. • … [...]

Instructure breach: ShinyHunters says ‘matter has been resolved’

The hackers behind the global Canvas LMS breach have said they are no longer “seeking money” from any victim. • Wed, 13 May 2026 • … [...]

Shares
Share This

Discover more from Australian Cyber Aware

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading