Select Page

Incident Updated: Australian government investigating ‘large-scale ransomware’ data breach of script provider MediSecure | ABC News (Australia)

Incident Updated: Australian government investigating ‘large-scale ransomware’ data breach of script provider MediSecure | ABC News (Australia)

Australian Medical Data Breach, 16 May 2024

E-script provider MediSecure is the health organisation at the centre of the large-scale ransomware data breach

Early indicators suggest the incident originated from one of our third-party vendors.

Company Statement: Update on cyber security incident/data breach
Source: Australian government investigating ‘large-scale ransomware’ data breach of script provider MediSecure | ABC News (Australia)

View more incidents relating to the Health and Medical sector and Privacy Breaches.

Update: 19 Jul 2024 #NineNewsAustralia
The investigation into the biggest cyber security breach in the nation’s history has been handed over to the Australian Federal Police

YouTube player

 

YouTube player

 

MediSecure is the health organisation at the centre of the large-scale ransomware data breach announced by the national cyber security coordinator on Thursday.

MediSecure’s website has been pulled, and the company has posted a statement saying it has identified a cyber security incident impacting “the personal and health information of individuals”.

General practices and pharmacies now run e-scripts through eRx. This meant any general practices would no longer be able to create new eScripts, cancel or delete scripts previously generated in MediSecure, although they could still access older scripts on MediSecure servers.

MediSecure said at the time it would remain in the market providing private prescriptions. It’s unclear what data has been compromised and over what time period.

Earlier, national cyber security coordinator Michelle McGuinness was unable to share what company had been affected.

??Cyber security chief believes large-scale MediSecure data breach is an isolated incident??
I understand the context that it was only the MediSecure systems, but messaging is well off. – SK

National Cyber Security Coordinator Lt Gen Michelle McGuinness says initial investigations suggest MediSecure ransomware attack is an isolated incident.

YouTube player

 

 


About The Author

Steven Kirby

I provide independent and practical consultancy services through raising awareness and fostering the energy for change that delivers improved business management of information security governance, risk and compliance.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Please follow the Source link to the original article to support the content owner. We only provide a brief summary with metadata to assist in categorisation.

More Australian News

How Australia's ASIC v FIIG decision supports your cyber investment business case

What you need to know First AFSL cyber penalty: FIIG's $2.5 million penalty is the first cyber security penalty under general financial services … [...]

APRA and ASIC Sound the AI Alarm for Boards and Executives

What you need to know APRA and ASIC have sent powerful messages to regulated entities regarding AI, cyber security and operational resilience in … [...]

Exclusive: INC Ransom claims cyber attack on Australian engineering service company

Threat actors have claimed a cyber attack on an Australian engineering solutions company and are threatening to publish data they allegedly … [...]

Exclusive: Major cleaning and facility services firm confirms third-party cyber incident

Major private cleaning and facility services firm Menzies Group has confirmed a cyber incident that occurred after a third-party IT provider was … [...]

Exclusive: Australian College of Business Intelligence investigating Qilin ransomware claims

A Sydney-based vocational college has found no evidence of compromised student data after being listed on the leak site of a prolific hacking group. • … [...]

Victorian bulk porting scammer gets over two years in prison

A 35-year-old man from Lynbrook, south-east Melbourne, has received a prison sentence of two years and two months, with a 12-month non-parole period, … [...]

NSW cyber cops bust alleged bullion-buying BEC bandits

NSW Police have charged three people over an alleged $600,000 business email compromise (BEC) scam operation, after detectives caught a young woman … [...]

Miners’ data targeted as hackers hold software provider to ransom

Dozens of Australian mining companies are scrambling to access their key technology systems after a major software supplier to the sector was … [...]

Instructure dealing with Canvas cyberhackers a dangerous tactic, say experts

The company that runs Canvas has painted a target on its back for future extortion attempts by making a deal with hackers, according to cybersecurity … [...]

Exclusive: Hospitality IT provider allegedly breached by Qilin

Threat actors have claimed a cyber attack on an Australian hospitality and gaming industry supplier, having listed the firm on the dark web. • Fri, 15 … [...]

ACCC welcomes another year of funding for the National Anti-Scam Centre

The Australian consumer watchdog is pleased with the overall funding boost of $67.7 million over four years in the 2026–27 budget. • Thu, 14 May 2026 … [...]

Report: Business email compromise attacks surged dangerously in April

BEC attacks rose 151 per cent month on month in April, with advanced fee and gift card fraud key drivers. • Thu, 14 May 2026 • Security *]:clear-none … [...]

Shares
Share This

Discover more from Australian Cyber Aware

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading