Select Page

Incident: Guardian Australia staff details compromised in cyberattack | WA today

Incident: Guardian Australia staff details compromised in cyberattack | WA today

Australian Media Privacy Breach, 02 February 2023

Guardian Australia staff details compromised in cyberattack

Personal data of the 140 staff had been affected

Source: Guardian Australia staff details compromised in cyberattack | WA today

View more incidents from News Film and Media sector and incidents resulting in Privacy Breaches.

Personal information including addresses and salary information on 140 current and former Australian staff of multinational media outlet The Guardian may have been accessed by hackers in the crippling cyberattack that hit the company late last year.

On Thursday The Guardian’s Australian managing director Dan Stinton and editor Lenore Taylor emailed local staff to say 140 people employed between February 2017 and May 2019 had their details affected. Tax file numbers, bank account details, superannuation information, salaries and addresses were among the staff details potentially compromised.

Stinton and Taylor told staff in an email seen by this masthead that key Guardian servers were corrupted in the hack, preventing access to information that showed what the hackers had accessed until they were rebuilt.

A spokeswoman for the publication said extensive investigations had uncovered that the personal data of the 140 staff had been affected and added that the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, which reviews data breaches, had been notified of the issue. “A credit monitoring service is in place for all Guardian Australia staff, even though we have seen no evidence that personal data has been exposed online,” the spokeswoman said. “We continue to monitor for this.”

 


About The Author

Steven Kirby

I provide independent and practical consultancy services through raising awareness and fostering the energy for change that delivers improved business management of information security governance, risk and compliance.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Please follow the Source link to the original article to support the content owner. We only provide a brief summary with metadata to assist in categorisation.

More Australian News

Exclusive: Major cleaning and facility services firm confirms third-party cyber incident

Major private cleaning and facility services firm Menzies Group has confirmed a cyber incident that occurred after a third-party IT provider was … [...]

Exclusive: Australian College of Business Intelligence investigating Qilin ransomware claims

A Sydney-based vocational college has found no evidence of compromised student data after being listed on the leak site of a prolific hacking group. • … [...]

Victorian bulk porting scammer gets over two years in prison

A 35-year-old man from Lynbrook, south-east Melbourne, has received a prison sentence of two years and two months, with a 12-month non-parole period, … [...]

NSW cyber cops bust alleged bullion-buying BEC bandits

NSW Police have charged three people over an alleged $600,000 business email compromise (BEC) scam operation, after detectives caught a young woman … [...]

Miners’ data targeted as hackers hold software provider to ransom

Dozens of Australian mining companies are scrambling to access their key technology systems after a major software supplier to the sector was … [...]

Instructure dealing with Canvas cyberhackers a dangerous tactic, say experts

The company that runs Canvas has painted a target on its back for future extortion attempts by making a deal with hackers, according to cybersecurity … [...]

Exclusive: Hospitality IT provider allegedly breached by Qilin

Threat actors have claimed a cyber attack on an Australian hospitality and gaming industry supplier, having listed the firm on the dark web. • Fri, 15 … [...]

ACCC welcomes another year of funding for the National Anti-Scam Centre

The Australian consumer watchdog is pleased with the overall funding boost of $67.7 million over four years in the 2026–27 budget. • Thu, 14 May 2026 … [...]

Report: Business email compromise attacks surged dangerously in April

BEC attacks rose 151 per cent month on month in April, with advanced fee and gift card fraud key drivers. • Thu, 14 May 2026 • Security *]:clear-none … [...]

Scope Systems confirms cyber incident, says no data loss occurred

Western Australia-based software deployment specialist and reseller Scope Systems has disclosed a cyber incident but said no data loss occurred. • … [...]

Instructure breach: ShinyHunters says ‘matter has been resolved’

The hackers behind the global Canvas LMS breach have said they are no longer “seeking money” from any victim. • Wed, 13 May 2026 • … [...]

Gov to sustain key tech programs with new billions

The federal government has bucked expectations with a large amount of investment into sustaining technology projects, headlined by $654m for Digital … [...]

Shares
Share This

Discover more from Australian Cyber Aware

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading