Select Page

Incident: NSW public insurer icare privacy bungle hits 193,000 people | iTnews

Incident: NSW public insurer icare privacy bungle hits 193,000 people | iTnews

Australian Insurer Privacy Breach, 2 June 2022

NSW public insurer icare sends private details of 193,000 workers to wrong employers

Excel spreadsheet emailed to 587 wrong employers and brokers

Company Statement: Privacy Incident
Source: NSW public insurer icare privacy bungle hits 193,000 people | iTnews

Related incidents in New South Wales and the Banking and Finance industry.

Update 9/6/2022: icare still waiting on leaked workers’ comp data to be deleted | iTnews
NSW public insurer icare is yet to receive assurances from two dozen firms mistakenly sent reports containing the personal details of 193,000 injured workers, that they have deleted the data.

The personal details of almost 200,000 injured workers were mistakenly shared with 587 employers and insurance brokers in a major privacy data breach by embattled state insurer icare last month.

“A privacy incident occurred in the week of May 10 2022 due to human error resulting in April 2022 employer cost of claims reports being issued to the wrong employer or broker,” the insurer said in a statement on its website.

An icare spokesperson has emailed iTnews to say: “The incident involved the Cost of Claims report for one employer being sent to a single different employer. 587 employers or brokers received an incorrect report (each report was unique). Data relating to 193,000 workers was contained in the totality of those 587 unique reports.”

The cost of claims report included a summary of workers’ claims history, their name, date of birth and injury category, but no banking or contact details.

icare statement

The State Insurance Regulatory Authority is investigating if the incident constituted a breach of the workers’ compensation legislation, a spokeswoman said.

In a statement, the Privacy Commissioner said icare had confirmed arrangements to support affected workers who can also contact the Information and Privacy Commission for advice.

 


About The Author

Steven Kirby

I provide independent and practical consultancy services through raising awareness and fostering the energy for change that delivers improved business management of information security governance, risk and compliance.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Please follow the Source link to the original article to support the content owner. We only provide a brief summary with metadata to assist in categorisation.

More Australian News

Exclusive: INC Ransom claims cyber attack on Australian engineering service company

Threat actors have claimed a cyber attack on an Australian engineering solutions company and are threatening to publish data they allegedly … [...]

Exclusive: Major cleaning and facility services firm confirms third-party cyber incident

Major private cleaning and facility services firm Menzies Group has confirmed a cyber incident that occurred after a third-party IT provider was … [...]

Exclusive: Australian College of Business Intelligence investigating Qilin ransomware claims

A Sydney-based vocational college has found no evidence of compromised student data after being listed on the leak site of a prolific hacking group. • … [...]

Victorian bulk porting scammer gets over two years in prison

A 35-year-old man from Lynbrook, south-east Melbourne, has received a prison sentence of two years and two months, with a 12-month non-parole period, … [...]

NSW cyber cops bust alleged bullion-buying BEC bandits

NSW Police have charged three people over an alleged $600,000 business email compromise (BEC) scam operation, after detectives caught a young woman … [...]

Miners’ data targeted as hackers hold software provider to ransom

Dozens of Australian mining companies are scrambling to access their key technology systems after a major software supplier to the sector was … [...]

Instructure dealing with Canvas cyberhackers a dangerous tactic, say experts

The company that runs Canvas has painted a target on its back for future extortion attempts by making a deal with hackers, according to cybersecurity … [...]

Exclusive: Hospitality IT provider allegedly breached by Qilin

Threat actors have claimed a cyber attack on an Australian hospitality and gaming industry supplier, having listed the firm on the dark web. • Fri, 15 … [...]

ACCC welcomes another year of funding for the National Anti-Scam Centre

The Australian consumer watchdog is pleased with the overall funding boost of $67.7 million over four years in the 2026–27 budget. • Thu, 14 May 2026 … [...]

Report: Business email compromise attacks surged dangerously in April

BEC attacks rose 151 per cent month on month in April, with advanced fee and gift card fraud key drivers. • Thu, 14 May 2026 • Security *]:clear-none … [...]

Scope Systems confirms cyber incident, says no data loss occurred

Western Australia-based software deployment specialist and reseller Scope Systems has disclosed a cyber incident but said no data loss occurred. • … [...]

Instructure breach: ShinyHunters says ‘matter has been resolved’

The hackers behind the global Canvas LMS breach have said they are no longer “seeking money” from any victim. • Wed, 13 May 2026 • … [...]

Shares
Share This

Discover more from Australian Cyber Aware

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading